Just In – Halo Headband and TraxFactory Sweat Buster

by Brian Mullin on June 29, 2014

Halo Headband

Halo
sent along their Protex Bandana, new Halo V and two Skull cap’s for a
test and review.  All of the Halo products use their patented SweatBlock
Seal which channels sweat back and away from the eyes and face. They
use Dryline fabric on them, which absorbs sweat, wicks moisture and
dries quickly.

The Skull cap and Protex Bandana utilize a 4-way
stretch micro-mesh top to help release heat, but it still gives ample
coverage for sun protection. The Protex Bandana, which looks like a
pirate setup, has some adjustability at the back via its ties for a more
customized fit. Their new Halo V takes the classic headband and adds a
soft Velcro closure system, which allows it to fit more head sizes.
Refer to haloheadband.com for more information.

TraxFactory Sweat Buster

This
is a system that is helmet pad replacement, and is a bit like the
SweatHawgs branded head gear. The Sweat Buster is made from super
absorbent high quality Elite Microfiber to help pull as much sweat as
possible from your forehead during exercise.

The Sweat Buster is
10 inches long, 2 inches wide and a puffy 1/2 inch thick (even more
puffy until they pack down). There is a small Velcro attachment material
along the bottom front, which allows it to adhere to the front of the
helmets existing Velcro pads or it can be used with their accompanying
Velcro tabs. It’s machine washable, though it really only needs to be
rinsed between most rides.

First Impressions
I
first installed it in my uvex helmet, which doesn’t have an easily
removable front pad, so I added some Velcro tabs on the existing pads
and placed the Sweat Buster onto them. It felt a bit odd at first since
the Sweat Buster needed to pack down somewhat, otherwise, I felt like a
had a growth on my forehead. During a good ride and hike-a-bike session,
I got a good set of sweat rolling along, and the Sweat Buster did a
great job of absorbing sweat. When I took it out to examine things, it
felt heavy from the sweat, but it didn’t feel wet and I wasn’t able to
squeeze anything out of it. Like the SweatHawgs, it tended to roll the
sweat over towards my ears and sideburns, and it dripped around that
area and the back of my sunglasses.

Refer to www.traxfactory.com for more information.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Trevor July 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I love my Sweat Buster! I am a glasses wearer myself, and sweat has always been an issue while riding with getting into my eyes or onto my lenses. I was hestitant at first with the Sweat Buster because of the thickness, but it is really comfortable and actually made my helmet fit much better. All my helmets will now have a Sweat Buster!

Jacob D. July 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I've used other products like the Halo and Buff but the Sweat Buster works the best for me. It is thicker than your OEM helmet pads but not as thick as it looks as it squishes down when you put your helmet on.

My helmet has never fit better and the sweat management is far superior than the other products I've used. Good job Trax.

Just be sure you wring the Sweat Buster out after a ride!

Grant Watkins July 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Its is actually nothing like sweat hawg gear, I own both. I'm still blown away at the amount of sweat this thing absorbs. Part of my riding kit now, if I don't have it I'm miserable.

Unrooted July 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I own both a halo headband and a sweatbuster, they both work well, but the sweatbuster is the only one I've used that truly works on really hot days and doesn't feel like it heats my head up while riding.

Scott (unrooted) July 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I own both the Halo Headband and the Sweat Buster and I like both, but the Sweat Buster is much better on really hot days. I even put a Sweat Buster in my rock climbing helmet and it is so much more comfortable and keeps sweat off of my glasses when climbing in the heat. If you can afford both then I say they are worth the money, but if you are only buying one then get the sweatbuster, especially since you won't lose it since it velcros into your helmet. I've lost a Halo because it gets so soaked with sweat and takes a long time to dry out so I hang it from my handlebar while riding, then I lean my bike over and its gone!

GS July 8, 2014 at 12:29 am

I have been using the same Sweat Buster for about a year now and love it! I ride in Southern California in the sun and heat so I needed something to get rid of the annoying sweat in my eyes. I shave my head with a #1 blade guard so I need to wear sunscreen on my head and the SB keeps it from dripping into my eyes and on my glasses. I don't like wearing a cap because it's too hot for me. Rarely have I gotten actual drips to come down in my eyes, maybe to the side but not onto my sunglasses. The only drops I get on my sunglasses come from my Camelbak mouthpiece when I spit it out, haha. Haven't tried any of the other products because if ain't broke why fix it? Simplicity works best!

Trevor G. July 8, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I love my Sweat Buster! I was a bit hesitant at first, as it is thicker, but it made my helmet so much more comfortable and fit better. I also wear glasses and this is the only thing that keeps the sweat off my glasses and out of my eyes.

Gunnar-man July 26, 2014 at 3:38 am

I am convert. I have used the Halos for years but always found them hot.

Bought two Sweat busters a couple months ago: one for my commuter helmet(Fox Flux) and my mtb helmet (IXS Trail) and they are great. I get to use the ventilation that my helmets have and do not have any sweat in my eyes.

They are thicker than the Halos were but I just don't have to cinch my helmets down as much anymore.

2 thumbs up from me.